Skip to main content

The things I'll always have in the kitchen

I'm properly happy to be corrected, but I truly don't think that cooking healthily is too tricky. If anything, it's been a source of real fun for me to take the things that I love eating and finding ways to cut the calories and fat from it whilst keeping it as a tasty, satisfying option.


I've said before on this blog but I've failed many times at losing weight before this attempt and this tie it's stuck, and this is the attempt where I've stopped trying to deny myself the foods that I love. During the first lockdown when everything was closed, I tried to replicate things I got out and about - not trying to make them healthy like I do now - but looking to scratch the itch that wasn't otherwise available. Big Mac - got it down to a fine art. Starbucks Cinnamon Swirl - you betcha. Pizza - I'd challenge anyone to a cook off for that.


Cooking healthily but in a satisfying manner kind of follows the same method; take what you can't have (much as I'd love to live off of my favourite foods in their full fat forms, it's not done me good so far) and work through the methods and ingredients to see what you can change, what you can cut and what you really need to make it work. Then there's trial and error. Does it scratch the itch? Can you improve it further? 


I'll share more recipes on here soon, but here are a few things in my kitchen that I can't do without.


A good frying pan

£18 from Asda

This is one of those ones that I'd say "Spend what you can afford", but it doesn't need to be expensive. You're looking for non stick, as heavy as you can get and one with a metal handle you can throw in the oven. I've linked to one under £20 but if you want to find one for more or less, then up to you. The better the pan and the more non stick quality that it has to it, the less oil you'll need to use. It's amazing how quickly oil ups your calorie count for a dish, so it works a treat.


1 calorie cooking spray


An absolute godsend - whether for spraying on your pan before cooking or even spraying over food you want to crisp up in the oven, this stuff adds very few calories (one calorie per spray, funnily enough) and does the job you need. Perfect!


0% Fat Greek Yoghurt



This is great and can be used for so much. Sometimes I have some of this in the morning topped with berries, oats and a little honey, it's great mixed with spices or herbs and used as a marinade for chicken, I've even used it in place of a bechamel in a lasagne and used super lean 3% fat steak mince. Substitute it for cream and/or butter in sauces, all sorts of uses. 


A well stocked herb and spice rack


I honestly think you can't have enough to hand (my partner may disagree with me here) but there's no getting away from it - it's easy enough to create taste filled dishes if you pack it full of fatty things, it's just a fact. If you have a good selection of things to pack flavour into a dish then you're onto a winner. Which also leads me to...


Hot sauces


Singularity Hot Sauce


I've linked my absolute favourite producers of hot sauces (hello Singularity) but chili can help you feel fuller and it's a great way of adding pleasurable heat to your dishes. Whatever your heat preference, but a couple of splashes on top of your favourite dish may help you feel more satisfied but also won't add much in the way of calories to your plate. Mega.


Skinny Whip bars


I absolutely love these. I decided not to use anything like this in the first few weeks when my cravings were at their worse because I could easily munch an entire multi-pack of them but they're chocolate covered, nougat filled and taste amazing. They're under 100 calories per bar and are a great way to feel as if you're having a bar of chocolate without the same impact on your calorie intake. Home Bargains, B&M and similar do a fair range of similar brands and flavours. Honourable mention to mini packs of Cadbury's Animal Biscuits and mini party rings for sub 100 calorie treats when you absolutely need something to pick the day up a bit.


I'll try to do more of these articles with more things I find myself levitating towards on my weekly shop, but these for certain help with maintaining a healthy calorie deficit long term.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The first step - getting ready

At the risk of sounding like I've stumbled across a moment of common sense and are trying to make it out like a great revelation, my actual greatest revelation so far from losing weight is this (from my first post which is quite excellent and you should definitely read, by the way): You are going to need to make changes to your relationship with food and exercise that will last a lifetime. It really is common sense. If you lose a stone or two then revert back to what you're doing before the start of your journey, eventually you will end up as square one. Hopefully you'll get to a point where you're happy to maintain but there's no getting away from it - it's a big step to choose to lose weight and it's hard work. That's why it's so important that you acknowledge that it's hard work and also why it's vital that you have to find a routine that you enjoy and works for you. I hate going to the gym. I hate being at the gym. I hate almost everythin

Man v Fat and all the other things

 I've mentioned it before but I play in the Man v Fat football programme. It's something that I put as a big part of the successes that I have enjoyed so far in terms of losing weight and will mention quite a few times again.  The premise is simple; it takes place weekly and starts with a weigh in. You're allocated a team when you sign up to the league and are asked to wear a certain coloured shirt. If you lose weight that week, it's worth half a goal headstart. Lose weight three weeks in a row and then that's a full goal head start for a hat trick. Hit the goal of losing a multiple of 5% of your body weight from joining, that's a full three goals. If all your team complete a food and activity diary then that's another goal. You then go and play a competitive game of football, usually around 15-20 minutes. Our group also choose to play an extra game on a Friday between us for fun.  You also get access to the Man v Fat online gym which gives you all sorts of