Skip to main content

Photos - the importance of comparison

 


That's me above. Hello! Nice to meet you.You're looking well. 

That was a photo of me on the 1st of January 2022. Aroundabout mid day, away to take part in the Loony Dook where everyone runs into the sea and has a swim to welcome the new year. I'd been playing a bit of fives before this for a few weeks but my diet was its old self and not quite what it should be, to put it nicely.

I forgot to take a proper, official "before" photo or set of photos for when I started the Man v. Fat football programme and so the above is really the best comparison I have. I'm glad I have it; it shows off me at near enough my heaviest I've been, I was around 20st and 9lb at that point. I don't know precisely as I can only go from when I weighed myself shortly after Christmas so it's a few days out, but never mind.

There are points when you've embarked on your new lifestyle where it seems hopeless. Your clothes are still tight, your cravings are at their absolute meanest and worst and you're sore because you've started working out muscles that haven't been properly worked out for some time. Nobody said it was easy, as Chris Martin said. 

We have the unique disadvantage of seeing ourselves several times in every single day which means that any progress we see doesn't have time to provide a surprise, if you will. We tend to not stretch back to when we started all this to look for a pound lost here or an inch lost there and as a result, if can often feel like we're not seeing much in the way of results.

Taking photos before means that we can have a direct comparison of where we started and where we are now. It's a brilliant ego boost, when we're sore, tired and craving things you can look at a before and after and it does the world of good to know that although we don't feel like a different is being made, it truly is.


Above is me on the 5th of June this year. It's not quite the same pose, but it makes me smile to look at how different everything is. I still want to lose some more and tone up but when things don't feel like it's going as well as I hoped then I can look at that and see what a change has been made. 

Losing weight is a mental battle as much as everything else and having every tool in your arsenal to win that battle can only be a good thing.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The things I'll always have in the kitchen

I'm properly happy to be corrected, but I truly don't think that cooking healthily is too tricky. If anything, it's been a source of real fun for me to take the things that I love eating and finding ways to cut the calories and fat from it whilst keeping it as a tasty, satisfying option. I've said before on this blog but I've failed many times at losing weight before this attempt and this tie it's stuck, and this is the attempt where I've stopped trying to deny myself the foods that I love. During the first lockdown when everything was closed, I tried to replicate things I got out and about - not trying to make them healthy like I do now - but looking to scratch the itch that wasn't otherwise available. Big Mac - got it down to a fine art. Starbucks Cinnamon Swirl - you betcha. Pizza - I'd challenge anyone to a cook off for that. Cooking healthily but in a satisfying manner kind of follows the same method; take what you can't have (much as I'

The first step - getting ready

At the risk of sounding like I've stumbled across a moment of common sense and are trying to make it out like a great revelation, my actual greatest revelation so far from losing weight is this (from my first post which is quite excellent and you should definitely read, by the way): You are going to need to make changes to your relationship with food and exercise that will last a lifetime. It really is common sense. If you lose a stone or two then revert back to what you're doing before the start of your journey, eventually you will end up as square one. Hopefully you'll get to a point where you're happy to maintain but there's no getting away from it - it's a big step to choose to lose weight and it's hard work. That's why it's so important that you acknowledge that it's hard work and also why it's vital that you have to find a routine that you enjoy and works for you. I hate going to the gym. I hate being at the gym. I hate almost everythin

Man v Fat and all the other things

 I've mentioned it before but I play in the Man v Fat football programme. It's something that I put as a big part of the successes that I have enjoyed so far in terms of losing weight and will mention quite a few times again.  The premise is simple; it takes place weekly and starts with a weigh in. You're allocated a team when you sign up to the league and are asked to wear a certain coloured shirt. If you lose weight that week, it's worth half a goal headstart. Lose weight three weeks in a row and then that's a full goal head start for a hat trick. Hit the goal of losing a multiple of 5% of your body weight from joining, that's a full three goals. If all your team complete a food and activity diary then that's another goal. You then go and play a competitive game of football, usually around 15-20 minutes. Our group also choose to play an extra game on a Friday between us for fun.  You also get access to the Man v Fat online gym which gives you all sorts of